McCarran Honored for Diversity
Airports Council International – North America (ACI-NA) is a trade organization that represents airports of all sizes across the United States and Canada. Each year, it recognizes a select group of airports for their efforts to develop and foster relationships with small and disadvantaged businesses within their respective communities. McCarran was named ACI-NA’s “Inclusion Champion” award winner for Large Airports in 2018.
ACI-NA President Kevin Burke praised McCarran for its continued commitment to setting ambitious goals that strengthen the businesses that support airport operations, while also developing relationships with small businesses that reflect and support this community.
Department of Aviation staff members organized or participated in nearly 120 outreach events, providing technical assistance to small and minority or women-owned businesses. In addition, the airport was also recognized for thoughtfully structuring its construction and concession contracts to ensure opportunities for small businesses. As always, McCarran strives to seek diversity in its hiring practices.
The selection of McCarran was based on the following:
• Implementing hiring policies and procedures, including a diversified interview panel, that support a philosophy of workforce inclusion and diversity given the value these characteristics bring to the airport’s overall mission.
• Advertising all open and competitive hiring opportunities in minority-targeted publications.
• Offering specialized orientations and training as well as providing workplace tools and devices for the hearing impaired.
• Providing outreach activities that create opportunities to work together for cross-generational teams comprised of men and women who are racially diverse and hold a variety of positions.
• Participating in local job fairs and career days at the high school and college levels, as well as job fairs that focus on veterans.
• Investing in team building and leadership development of supervisors and managers through formal education classes that emphasize the value of managing an intergenerational workforce.
• Sponsoring internships with the local universities and colleges which also insures a pipeline for a racially and generationally diverse future workforce.
Please click here to read the proclamation.